Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Classics

By Jon


ESPN Classic used to be a quality channel. I swear, it did.

Some ten months ago, I moved to a new location with a different cable package, and I was thrilled to find that I had ESPN Classic. It quickly became my favorite channel on the tube, as I found myself wrapped in quality college football games and other events on a nearly daily basis. They even threw in three episodes of "Stump the Schwab" (my all-time favorite ESPN show) to boot. It was the most TV i was watching in months. My roommate and other friends would ask silly questions like "How can you watch this when you know what's going to happen?" They just don't understand.

Now I have returned home to find that I still have ESPN Classic. Except, the only difference is the programming has slowly changed over the past ten months. Now every time I turn it on, I am subjected to "classic" World Series of Poker moments and Streetball. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care about that "classic" ace that was turned on the river or what move "The Professor" pulled in 2004.

Now, I understand that they must be pulling in some sort of audience that football and basketball games weren't roping in. It's a business, viewers are everything. And I'm not saying that classic sporting events have disappeared, they have just slowly diminished.

Since we started this blog, I have began to realize how much I hate ESPN and the mainstream media in general (as you can tell by my various anti-ESPN posts). Now they have ruined the only branch of their network that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I couldn't be more mad about it.

Please ESPN, more MJ, Elway, and Aaron. Less Chris Moneymaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment