Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Manny being Manny

By Jon

Manny Ramirez is at it again. According to Manny, if the Red Sox fall victim to the Indians in the ALCS, it's not a big deal. To quote him exactly, "It doesn't happen, so who cares? There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

Here's the thing, though: Manny Ramirez is the only person in all of professional sports who can get away with saying something so idiotic. Can you imagine any other player, especially one who means so much to their franchise, saying this and getting out of it without a backlash from his fanbase? Ramirez has the absolute strangest relationship with the media, but ever since David Ortiz coined "Manny being Manny," he can get away with pretty much anything.

If I was a Red Sox fan, which I most certainly am not, I'd be pretty outraged. To put it in perspective, what if Danny Briere made a similar comment while we were down against the Sens in the Eastern Conference Finals last year? He would have been run out of town (not that he wasn't set to leave anyways), and been added to the ever-growing list of Buffalo sports public enemies.

Maybe I'm reading too deep into his comments. Maybe I don't understand the whole "Manny being Manny" concept, but I know that I wouldn't want one of my franchise players making those comments with my team on the brink.

No comments:

Post a Comment