Thursday, September 4, 2008

Youth Hockey Winter Classic?

by Ryan

File this under the category of completely dropping the ball.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette has an excellent Penguins blog called Empty Netters, which had a story on it about, of all things, East Aurora.

More specifically, the announcement that The Aurora Ice Association bought the rink materials used for the Winter Classic in January. Wait, what? Really?

The Aurora Ice Association has obtained possession of the actual rink that was used for the Winter Classic event held at Ralph Wilson Stadium on January 1st, 2008 between the Buffalo Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Specifically, they have purchased the same tubing that was used for the game and are looking at other items to purchase through the same vendor including the chiller, dasherboards, glass and zamboni.


So here's my question: how the hell did we not hear about this sooner? I mean, according to the dateline the post is over two days old. I just found this tonight on Empty Netters, who had the post up on September 3rd. A quick Google search tells me Kuklas Korner found it the same way I did and posted it on the third as well.

So where's the local coverage? The only thing I can see locally is a Ron Plants blog post from yesterday. That's all fine and good, but that isn't exactly the best way to get the word out.

Where's the Buffalo News on this? I'd have to say this is something people would be interested in hearing about, and unless my remedial web sleuthing failed me I didn't see a mention of it on their site. Is it not a certifiable source, this whole Internet thing? That sure didn't stop them before. How under the radar can something like this fly?

Hey, I'm just the guy asking questions here...

1 comment:

  1. There was also a report on Channel 2 news where they interviewed the guy who bought it and he explained their plans, etc. That's the only place I'd heard of it.

    ReplyDelete