Friday, August 31, 2007

Hockey headlines in August?

What's it take to land the NHL in the headlines at the end of August? Nope, it's not Sid the Kid going Tommy Hilfiger on us. It's the collective cojones of the Dallas Stars organization, who have been so bold to take shots at each US sports league that is more popular than the NHL (AKA nearly all of them).

Hell, any press is good press, right?

It is quite ballsy of the Stars to put this out, but I guess you've got to do what you've got to do when you are in a town where you play third fiddle to the Cowboys and Mavs (Maybe fourth fiddle? Do people in Dallas care about the Rangers? I certainly don't know).

Anywho, retaliation from other leagues certainly won't happen, but it wouldn't be difficult, that much is for sure. I mean there are tons of great angles that others could choose from. In fact, here are a few that I would produce if I was a marketing director for other leagues:

"The NBA. Where we don't cancel entire seasons."

"Welcome to the NFL, where our TV ratings are actually higher than Travis Henry's college GPA"

"Major League Baseball. Our players don't break each other's spine and two hand players over the head"

"Hey NHL. We've got Posh Spice. What do you have? Signed, the MLS"

I could go on and on, but then that would just be a crappy excuse for me to lengthen this post. Feel free to add on your own, there's about a million crappy things about the NHL to choose from.

One thing I did want to work in was a Rick Tocchet shot, but I quickly realized that neither the NBA or MLB would work for this. So I would like to extend a thank-you to Mr. Donaghy, Mr. Tocchet, and Mr. Rose for forever tainting their respective sports. Sports fans everywhere truly appreciate it.

Update: ESPN made better ones. Please notice that mine was posted first. (2:16 vs. 5:54)


No comments:

Post a Comment