Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'm a Bit Testy Today... I Blame the Hut

by Ryan


You have no idea how many times I've wanted to get myself banned from ESPN's "Conversation Beta."

Most of the time these urges come from the works of Skip, Jemele Hill, or Scoop Jackson that bother me. Today it's Jim Caple. Now, I saw this story a few days ago but held off because, quite frankly, I didn't want to be pissed off that day.

If you don't want to read, here's a summary:

I used to be a Red Sox fan, but now that's gay. Bush joke, Bush joke, I write a crappy cartoon, buy my books about Boston, Red Sox fans are all the same, Bush joke, hey have you heard about Iraq?

And scene.

Now, I actually used to like Caple's work. When he first started at Page Two he was funny and stuck with things he knew. But ever since he got that "senior writer" tag and started looking for places to carry his wife on his back he's gotten a bit loopy and well, boring.

Other things that bother me because that fat guy who throws hard went after the Greek God of Walks... (I'm kidding, really... I'd just like to see if anyone is actually reading this...)


I know this is a bit old, but this guy isn't a big fan of research. To quote:

The Buffalo Sabres this season will switch to variable ticket pricing based on the date and opponent, similar to what the Mets do with their gold, silver and bronze designations.

Thus, the same cheapest Sabres seat that costs $20 for some games will cost $68 for others; the better seats that cost $90 for certain games will cost $203 for others. Because it's impossible to predetermine the value of games, the plan is a cosmetically beautified exercise in price gouging.

Whatever became of the NHL's on-ice "Thank You, Fans" campaign? Must've melted away.


I know it's fun to bash the NHL and everything, but at least pick the right angle. The Sabres have had variable ticket pricing since the lockout ended; and even with the wide range of prices they still have some of the cheapest tickets in the league.

If you really want to make a point, talk about how some large market teams have raised their prices dramatically, which in turn raises revenue averages and thereby moves up the cap limit. I know a lot of NHL numbers are hard to find, but it's not hard to make a few calls when you work for the Post.



David Beckham got hurt today, and the sports world will now mourn for 4-6 weeks accordingly.

Well, not really.

This whole Beckham taking over America thing is officially a joke. I know soccer is a tough sport, but Becks must have the body mass of tissue paper or something. Hey, at least he had that nice free kick. Totally worth it.

I know it may be ethnocentric to say, but if I have to pick a "star that will make an obscure sport relevant" I'd take Sidney Crosby and his pink shirts over Mr. Posh Spice any day. Sid broke his freaking foot last season and still played through the playoffs.

Okay, so maybe I won't take the pink shirts, but the Kid is tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment