Friday, May 2, 2008

Just a Few Thoughts

by Ryan


It's been a busy few weeks around these parts, but just a few more days and you will see an increase in production here in the Roost. Heck, we even have a birthday coming up, and you certainly will want to stick around for that. In the mean time, I just wanted to talk about something briefly before the weekend hits.

This whole Buzz Bissinger thing has really made me think about how we do things around here and what it means. Looking back on the posts we've done and the opinions we've taken, I really am happy with how this site has developed. However, we can always do better.

Many times there are things I want to talk about that we just don't get around to. To be quite honest, we should talk about football much, much more often and we don't. At the most it is a snarky, sarcastic comment about Toronto, and you can only do so much of that.

Here's my problem: I never want to talk about something I am not positive of. Yesterday I overheard someone making fun of the Bills. They were talking about how awful they were and how many games they lose in a row. Blahblahblahblah. However, what they didn't know is that the Bills haven't lost more than three games in a row since 2005. Also, they do not "suck" as many think. Rather, they are mediocre, and while it is tiring, it is not the worst of things in the world.

The point is that I just don't want to sound like that. I use the words I know and I talk about the things that I know. There is a very big part of me that wants to talk about the Red Sox all the time, but while I love baseball and the Sox are my team, I don't see every game. I watch the games on gamecast because I don't owe Time Warner my soul, but there's something about watching little animated blobs circling a digital base path that seems un-postable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have some limitations here, but over the summer we plan to get better. I'm going to get a book that tells me the difference between "then" and "than" (somehow I have a problem with that), I'm going to read Ken Dryden's The Game, and I'm going to scout fantasy football and defensive schemes until I have no social life to speak of.

Summer may be the dead season for most blogs, but we're going to take that time to experiment and get better at what we do. We're not going to go Ken Kesey on you here and start dropping LSD, but I think come fall you will see a better site then what you have in front of you. We may have a book club, we may talk about some music, and we may go to some baseball games and ask enlightened questions about the archetechture of HOK Sports-era ballparks.

That's our promise for the weekend. The Goose's Roost may not be the most diverse of sports blogs, and it certianly isn't the best, but it will get better.

(And if you think we won't be talking about the Kentucky Derby based on my last post, you're dead wrong.)

5 comments:

  1. Personally I enjoy your posts, although sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about. That is my fault, not the fault of your writing. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yesterday I overheard someone making fun of the Bills."

    I hope you don't mean me... because my picture was of #14, and that was the biggest comeback for the Bills ever :)

    I try to keep it happy too. I think you do a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, guys. Also, it wasn't you, Dani, this was when I was actually mingling about society.

    You're totally right, though, I'd eat "Money Flakes" every morning if they had them. Heck, I'd wake up in time to eat breakfast if they had them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a book club! Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna be in the Goose's Roost book club!

    I love how the Buzz Bissinger thing got all of us all riled up! I feel the same way as you. I want to be better, in my own bloggy voice.

    ReplyDelete