Sunday, May 11, 2008

We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

by Ryan

I was going to talk about this yesterday, but I was too busy making up for my slacker ways and honoring mothers everywhere with purchases at the mall. In any event, on Friday night the Buffalo ABA franchise announced it's return to activity. The Ultimate Sports Road Trip has a good summary of the events, as well as a link to the team's website, which is just a logo at this point. An interesting logo, if I do say so myself. But the question is, why the Sharks?

So how did the “Sharks” nickname come to be? Lesh laughed and replied. “We had a sponsorship deal in place that involved the name and that fell through. But we liked the nickname and it stuck.”


Well, if you knew my sleep schedule and understood how much late night TV I watch, this next part shouldn't surprise you. Although he didn't say it, the sponsorship he is talking about has to be with Shark Energy, an energy drink that has... interesting commericals on late at night. Why? See for yourself.



This is the logo for the ABA Sharks.



And this is a can of Shark. Hrm... there seems to be a strong resemblance. I think it's something about the basketball and the slash marks on the can, but I can't be sure.

I think it's safe to say that this is the sponsorship they were talking about. The commercials I've seen tag this as a "Buffalo" energy drink, although from the website it appears to be an international operation. Maybe someone out there has actually tried it and can tell me more.



In case you were wondering, this is what I write to.

1 comment:

  1. Look at their logo now!

    Shark Energy left the boat! The ABA is a joke, the Sharks will sink quickly!

    ReplyDelete