Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Summer Reading

by Ryan

When you are young and impressionable, you are taught that summer is the best of the four seasons. Then you grow up a sports fan in Buffalo and realize that nothing of importance happens during the long days. Here in the Roost, we intend to use up that time to make ourselves better sports fans, and what better way to kill daylight then by reading?

We thought it would be an interesting experiment to share this summer reading with you. So, below is the initial list of books we intend to read this summer. They are subject to change and you are welcome to suggest others to us, but we will make note if there are any changes. Attached to each title is the Amazon.com link to purchase the book, if you'd like to play along.

This post will be attached to the sidebar and updated with a date for "discussion" of each. So far that discussion will be a post breaking the book down, with anyone willing to chime in doing so in the comments. Consider it a book club without having to pretend to read crappy books and gulp down crappy coffee. If you'd like, you can bring your own biscotti, we won't hold it against you.

Kübler-Ross model- Required reading for all sports fans, or anyone who happens to be a human being. This probably won't be a post, but it is good to know as a fan.

The Game, Ken Dryden- Every Habs fan I know will quote this at some point in their life, may as well know what they are talking about. Discussed Here

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk- The book is always better, right?

Between the Lines, Ray Scampinello, Rob Simpson- Hockey book written by a ref. It has to have some good stuff in it.

Killing Yourself to Live, Chuck Klosterman- If you've read his stuff on ESPN.com, you know why this is included. A great read otherwise, I'm a big fan.

A Season on the Brink, John Feinsten- I've heard good things, and it was laying around in my house. What else am I going to talk about until October, right?

God Save the Fan, Will Leitch- We may not do this one after all, but everyone in the blogosphere has to give it a shot, right?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson- Just to prove that Rich is indeed not dead.

The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game, Micheal Lewis- Hyped as the "Moneyball of football." We'll be the judge of that. Discussed Here

Ball Four, Jim Bouton- If you don't know, you will soon enough.

For the Love of the Game, Michael Shaara. Again, the movie probably doesn't do it justice.

Blink, Malcolm Gladwell- I've always wanted to read it, and Rich has. Now I have an excuse.

The Code, Ross Bernstein, Marty McSorley, Tony Twist- A bit behind on this one, but it should be well worth the wait. Discussed Here

Live from New York, James A. Miller, Tom Shales- Chris says it will be done in a week or so, so expect to see this one first. (To be discussed whenever Chris reads the last chapter)

---

My guess for the my first book is Dryden's The Game, with a date around the end of the Cup Finals. Setting dates for these things probably won't be an exact science, but we promise you there will be plenty of notice. As mentioned before, if you have any ideas or blatant criticisms of this, feel free to post them in the pop-up comments.

8 comments:

  1. I just started reading "Live From New York."

    It's an oral history of Saturday Night Live.

    http://www.amazon.com/Live-New-York-Uncensored-Saturday/dp/B0007XAWS0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211387201&sr=8-1

    I should have it done in a week or so for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say blindside is like money ball. Its basic message is how important the Left Tackle position is in football.

    Its mostly a story about one kid and he got to Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list, I have a hard time finding good books. I've got it narrowed down to four and I'll probably end up getting at least two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brodeur: Beyond The Crease and Searching for Bobby Orr were both good reads. So was Boys of Winter about the 1980 US Hockey Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Searching for Bobby Orr was great. I liked it much better than The Game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big Orr fan, so I'll probably add it to the list when I buy it. The Game first for me, then the rest will follow for sure. Has anyone read Klosterman before?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Klosterman's book that had something about Cocoa Puffs in the title. I remember liking most of it a lot although I do occasionally think he's trying a little too hard. Definitely more good than not though.

    And I will say that while I didn't like The Game, I read it very early in my hockey fandom so a lot of it was over my head. I just wasn't very familiar with a lot of the players and teams etc. involved. I probably should re-read it.

    ReplyDelete