Monday, September 3, 2007

Joe Theismann need not apply

By Chris

I can't wait for the new season of Friday Night Lights. I really can't. I was sketchy on the show at first and never really got into it until midseason.
So I watched about a dozen episodes online in order to catch up and I don't regret the decision one bit. It's a great show with a lot of heart and the football scenes are surprisingly pretty good. Don't worry, you'll be getting more Lights praising from me in the coming months.

So I was on NBC's website this evening looking up some information on the upcoming second season (which begins Oct. 5 at 9 p.m. ET), and my jaw dropped when I saw this link at the bottom of the page:

AMERICAN GLADIATORS CASTING CALL


Yes that's right. American Gladiators is returning and looking for contestants and I couldn't be happier. I'm too young to appreciate the show for what it was when it was happening, but I remember watching reruns on TNN on weekday mornings in the summer. I'd wake up early--OK, like 10ish--to catch Miami Vice and then American Gladiators. Good memories.

It looks like the show is going to be a mid-season replacement (imdb.com has it pegged for a 2008 debut), but the wait will be soooo worth it. Yes I know this has the potential to suck hard, but the anticipation is what it's all about right? The worst thing that could happen is that the debut gets delayed because the new Nitro decided to stock up on HGH before filming. And I'm willing to bet no one would be surprised.

Also, even if you're not jacked up like Tim Couch and you're not thinking about applying, take a look at some of the questions being asked in
the application for potential contestants. There's some really personal stuff in there.
  • "13. Have you had any experiences that have traumatized you?"
  • "14. What is your unique and personal motivation for wanting to compete on the show?"
  • "19. What conversation topics are 'off limits' for you at a dinner party?"
  • "21. If you were going to be in People magazine, what inside info about you would be put next to your picture?"
  • "24. If you had Aladdin's lamp and had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? (Rule: you can't wish for money or more wishes). 1. 2. 3. Why?"
  • "25. What is your strategy to win the game? (We won't tell the others.)"
  • "Draw a picture of yourself in the box below"
Basically every storyline they want to make about you on the show is right there in this application. Maybe I should have tune into The Contender tomorrow night, just for those up lifting and "scripted" subplots each boxer has. Then again, maybe I made the right choice in watching Rocky III tonight instead. After all, Clubber Lang could probably take Laser in the Joust.

No comments:

Post a Comment