Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rambling the Anger Out

by Ryan

I got a text this morning about Sean Taylor. I turned on the TV to see what happened. It was a natural response, people watch the news to find out what happened.

What I saw, unfortunately, was Fox News Channel. They told me that Sean Taylor was dead, passing away at 5am this morning. Not ten seconds later the anchor launches into the tale of his "troubled past," openly wondering if he was to blame for his own death.

At that point I had to turn the television off. How disgusting is the news media today? I mean, can't a guy die in peace anymore?

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible that his prior incidents are involved in his shooting, but at this point what the hell does it matter? Sean Taylor is dead, and that is a horrible and tragic thing. What does it matter to us how and why he died, especially just hours after it happens?

What was said was borderline slander, but something that happens all the time in the media. I'm so sick of the "infotainment" we are fed on an everyday basis, and when tragedies like this occur it is especially visible.

I guess I should be used to it, these are the same people that call hockey a deplorable sport when someone does something dirty, or want to ban Ricky Williams from the planet because of drug use. However, they don't seem to have a problem with covering Anna Nicole Smith's baby like it's the Geneva Convention, and Paris Hilton like a SALT Treaty.

It is a rambling statement at best, but it bothers me to no end when the know nothings immediately rush to opine a story to death. In the future, after actual police work is done, I'm more than okay with a rap sheet rundown. However, searching for connections through speculation and hearsay is just disgusting. Our immediate attention should be focused on the life that was lost and the family and friends left behind.

I'll leave this post with a quote from Taylor himself, something Fox News didn't feel was necessary to research and share:

"You can't be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes. ... You never see a person who has lived their life to the fullest. They sometimes feel sorry for like a child, maybe, that didn't get a chance to do some of the things they thought that child might have had a chance to do in life. I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment