Friday, January 25, 2008

Quick Hits

by Ryan


My laptop has been on the lam recently, so while I'm at a computer I thought I'd put out a few thoughts on the Sabres.

- Pat Kaleta was sent back to Rochester this morning. While it's easy to say I disagree with the move, Pat isn't going to be a regular Sabre this year and I can deal with that. He will have a place on this team very soon, at the very latest when Andrew Peters' contract is up next summer. I would follow the link just to watch the video of Chris Philips getting wrecked. Good times.

- Today I feel much better about where this team is heading. It always helps to see the number in the W column go up, but that felt like a hard fought win last night. The Roy/Vanek/Stafford line was good again, and aside from one huge brainfart by our two-time All Star their defensive effort was pretty solid.

- Hecht saved my life with that poke check in the last five seconds. If that shot gets off I undergo the Ludovico Technique to ween myself off hockey.

- I think the All Star Break will do this team some good. Last Friday's Thrashers game was supposed to be the turning point, but having a game the next night killed all the momentum a 10-1 final gave. Taking a solid road win into the break has to build some confidence, and after the weekend they have a quick Florida road trip against two much weaker opponents. We won't know how things have turned until Wednesday, but it feels good to head into the ASG with a win, even if we are hovering at .500.

- In honor of the All Star Game I've been compiling an "All Balls Team," celebrating the best of the worst players in the league this season. That will see the light of day sometime tomorrow.



- The BfloBlog game thread had some interesting comments on Thomas Vanek. I've thought Vanek has been playing better as of late, but I'm curious to see what other people think of his game. Everyone has an opinion and we have a comment option... don't be shy, boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment