Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Most Insignificant Sabre of the Last Decade: Radoslav Hecl

By Jon

In a quest to determine The Most Insignificant Sabre of the Last Decade, The Goose's Roost will profile one effectively useless player a day. After the profiles are all said and done, we will put up a poll with all of the finalists. The player receiving the most votes will be crowned Most Insignificant.

Today we'll take a look at Radoslav Hecl, another suggestion from Brian S. in the comments. (What can we say? The man knows insignificance.)


Radoslav Hecl
#21
2002-03 Season
Defenseman

Drafted: 2002 (7th Round) by the Sabres

Acquired by the Sabres: via Draft.

Regular season stats as a Sabre: 14 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 2 PIM

Playoff stats as a Sabre: None

After Buffalo: According to this 2002 Draft Evaluation I found on Hockeysfuture.com, Hecl was 27 when he was drafted, so the Sabres wanted him to achieve some level of production right away. When it became apparent that he wasn't going to cut it, Hecl went back to Slovakia and played there for three years. He played in the UK for one season and played this past season in Italy.

Ebay swag: Be sure to get your hands on an autographed puck from Hecl's days as a Sabre. Autographed in gold, and now 20 percent off. Buy it now for $1.59 plus $4.29 shipping.


Someone forgot to tell Radoslav that here in America we sign our first name in front of our last name.

Why Hecl should be The Most Insignificant Sabre of the Last Decade: Hecl couldn't have been in the Sabres organization for a shorter period of time. He was drafted in '02 and gone by the end of '03; A pretty incredible turnaround. I was pretty shocked that this guy played one game in a Sabres sweater, let alone fourteen.

Why Hecl should not be Most Insignificant: I'm digging for stuff here, but he was a seventh round draft pick that played in his first professional season on this side of the pond. That counts for something, right?

Finalist #4: Radoslav Hecl. I think he's gonna be pretty hard to beat; If you disagree let us know in the comments.



9 comments:

  1. Dude! I don't even know who that is!!! But his picture- cross-eyed... only outwards. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he cant win because he was too insignficant. At least Jean-Luc Grand Pierre had a fan club of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say I'm relieved that no one has of yet nominated Michael Ryan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tempt me, M.J......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zach, isn't that the point of this whole thing? I am fully behind Hecl , especially since I don't think any of us, including myself, remember him even being on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finalist #5: Michael Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, now Jon and Chris: I know you would not jeopardize my love for you boys by such blasphemy. Surely you jest....

    I mean, he DID manage to score on his own goalie..... therein in lies his, uh, significance!! Surely Chris Taylor did not manage such a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M.J.,

    We have someone much less noted ready to go. Trust me, it's a doozie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian, you are right but I still can't get behind Hecl just because. I think the complete insignificance is just driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete