Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Roost Recommends...

By Jon

I haven't posted anything here for weeks, so you think for my triumphant return, I would have a myriad of opinions about everything pertaining to the sporting world or maybe even a preview of tomorrow night's game.

Wrong.

I didn't see a minute of the Bills game on Sunday and have watched about thirty seconds total of the last three or four Sabres games (but if anyone wants to talk about Albany Great Danes basketball, you know where to find me.) So I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and try something a little new.

Introducing "The Roost Recommends," where we will tell you what to listen to, what to watch and what to avoid, because we're pretentious pricks. I doubt this will be a regular thing, but we may do it a little more often depending on the response we get.

The Roost Recommends...


"Cardinology" by Ryan Adams and the Cardinals


Ryan has been practically begging everyone to take notice of his man-crush on Ryan Adams, the sometimes alt-country, sometimes punk rock, sometimes solo acoustic artist that has put out a ton of good albums over the last decade. I've become a pretty big fan myself over the last two years or so, and I was beyond pumped to get my hands on a copy of "Cardinology," his newest release with his band, the Cardinals, that came out yesterday.

It has taken me a couple of listens, but I think it's pretty good. While there are a couple of clunkers (feel free to skip past "Sink Ships" and "Like Yesterday",) it is a relatively easy listen that spans a variety of genres. "Born into a Light," the opening track, sounds like it could have been on Easy Tiger, Adams' 2007 release," while a song like "Magick" sounds like an arena-rock hit.

Good: "Cobwebs" is an awesome track and "Stop" is an excellent closer. Appeals to a variety of genres.
Bad: It's short and a few tracks seem like filler.
Verdict: Worth picking up.

The Roost Recommends...


Chris got me hooked on 30 Rock a few episodes into the second season, and I proceeded to watch the entire first season in about 3 days. The characters are hilarious (Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan are incredible,) the writing is smart and witty, and there are a ton of guest stars (Oprah, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Martin) this season that should add to the show (though Chris disagrees.)

It amazes me that ratings are so atrocious for this show. There's a decent amount of star power (Tina Fey is huge right now,) it gets all of the critical acclaim in the world, and it probably will still get canceled because no one is watching, which seems to happen to all of the shows I begin to obsess over (Titus, anyone?)

The season premiere is on Thursday at 9 on NBC (You Time Warner subscribers still get that channel, no?,) but you can watch it at Hulu.com now.



6 comments:

  1. Word to 30 Rock. It's one of the best shows on TV. I was not a huge fan of Tina Fey before this show but she's pretty awesome on it.

    But yeah, dude, enough with the guest stars. They don't add to the show at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Introducing "The Roost Recommends," where we will tell you what to listen to, what to watch and what to avoid, because we're pretentious pricks

    Nah, just you.

    But seriously, Cardinology is really good. I even like Sink Ships...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up on Ryan Adams a few years ago. I liked his stuff with Whiskeytown, but haven't been able to ever get into his solo works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, Heather, Al Gore was pretty great in his guest appearance. Now I have the urge to end all my conversations with "Quiet! ... A whale is in trouble! I have to go." I love that show no matter what they do, though. I pretty much want to marry Tina Fey at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gambler, I apologize. You correct about Gore's appearance. I was thinking mostly of Seinfeld. His appearance was so trumpeted but it just wasn't a very good episode IMO. Al can come back any time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up on Ryan Adams a few years ago. I liked his stuff with Whiskeytown, but haven't been able to ever get into his solo works.

    Have you tried listening to Cold Roses? Head and shoulders above anything else Ryan and the cards have put out.

    I pretty much want to marry Tina Fey at this point.

    Sing it, sister!


    But yeah, dude, enough with the guest stars. They don't add to the show at all.


    Seinfeld's spot was waaayyy weak, I agree, but Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane's roles were killer.

    ReplyDelete