Saturday, April 12, 2008

Extended Play

by Ryan

The "Sunless Tanner" post never really felt complete to me, and so when I wanted to respond to the comments the rest of what I wanted to say just sort of came out. Hey, it's late and it's sort of Saturday, why not make it a post? Just imagine me as the fish, you the busy office worker, and your friends doing things other then reading blogs... or something.


"...but when less than 10 months ago you were stressing "no negotiations in season" it seems like quite the leap in philosophy, doesn't it?"


This was the quote that was mentioned by both Dani and Heather B. Here's the response:

It's not the change in philosophy that is startling as much as it is the velocity of the swing. This was a team coming out of the lockout that was "ahead of the curve" in both style of play and management.

Fast forward to last summer and suddenly they are exposed as missing the beat and claiming they "didn't know the market would act that way." In terms of how they have handled potential free agents, the window of opportunity has gone from July 1st (Danny and Drury) to February 26th (Campbell) to... October 5th? In terms of contract negotiations that's a huge shift in a very short ten month span.

It's great that they've learned their lesson and I agree that is the case. However, the time frame of all this puts some serious doubt in my feelings towards Darcy and Co. Just how "in the loop" are they with how the market will shift this summer? What, aside from a change in time frame, has changed with how they will operate?

My big question is Dan Paille, but I'll get to that another time. I just get... antsy when I think about how the warm months will shake out. And after the last few decisions, I can't say it's in a good way.

2 comments:

  1. Real good, ryan, real good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were blogging this morning. We were blogging this morning.

    However, the time frame of all this puts some serious doubt in my feelings towards Darcy and Co. Just how "in the loop" are they with how the market will shift this summer?

    Okay, this makes a little more sense in my mind than the original post. Thanks for elaborating. I think wondering how well Darcy and Co. read what's going on around them is totally fair. (Because I know you're super concerned about my opinion of your opinion :P)

    ReplyDelete